Pageviews last month

Friday, May 27, 2011

Those are some nice genes you're wearing!

My paternal grandfather is the oldest living person in Palm Beach County, FL. If you know that area and know how many senior citizens live there, then you understand what an achievement that actually is. He is due to turn 104 on July 7, 2011. He was born on July 7, 1907 or 07/07/07. Until a few days ago, he lived on his own in his condo with assisted living in the daytime but alone at night. His mind is intact, I am told, but his legs, ears and eyes are totally over this whole life thing. He was falling often, at night when he was alone. He went into a convalescent home a couple days ago after receiving a mild - moderate concussion from one of these falls. His prognosis is not great, as you can imagine. His body is slowly shutting down and as I hear from my father, Grandpa is ok with exiting stage left anytime life is ready to give him his cue. He may or may not make it to July 7, 2011 but then again, neither may any of us. Such is life.

Longevity runs rampant in my father's side of the family, although Grandpa Al is clearly the superstar of the family. My paternal grandmother died at the tender young age of 89. I tend to physically take after my father and his side of the family so, it makes me feel good to know I have some good genetics at play. Here's to Grandpa Al being comfortable and able to find some daily joys in his new digs.

No comments:

Post a Comment